Here at Hello Dental our focus is on oral health and a major role in this is good oral hygiene. We recommend using an electric toothbrush over a manual toothbrush. Evidence suggests that a pulsating, rotating and oscillating electric toothbrush removes more plaque vs another brand of electric toothbrush and/or a manual toothbrush. The most important thing to remember when brushing is to angle the toothbrush towards the gumline. Plaque and bacteria build up against the space where the gum meets the tooth. To make sure you are removing as much plaque as possible it is important to angle the bristles towards the space where the gum and tooth meet. Electric toothbrushes are doing all the work for you so all you need to do is hold it against the gumline for 2-3 seconds on each tooth and move round slowly. This is true for upper and lower teeth and on the outside and insides. If you divide our mouth into 4 (upper, lower, outside and insides) you can spend 30 seconds on each quadrant with your toothbrush. This then adds up to the recommended brushing time of 2 minutes. This should be done twice daily. Here are some handy tips for when brushing your teeth.
- Brush your teeth twice a day for 2 minutes at a time
- Use an electric toothbrush to maximise plaque removal
- Angle the bristles towards the space where the gum and tooth meet
- Work your way round slowly taking care not to scrub with the brush
- Use a fluoride toothpaste to keep the enamel strong
- Spit out the excess toothpaste but do not rinse afterwards
If you have any questions or queries regarding the above please do not hesitate to contact a member of the team for some advice.